WIRIO is a grassroots organization that serves the local Maasai, Kisii, & Luo communities. Volunteers who join this group will work on various projects that help the local community in reducing poverty by helping the local population with income generating projects like beekeeping, horticultural farming and more.
Volunteers will participate in activities such as teaching, empowerment, mentorship, environmental conservation, waste management and more.
- Volunteers will stay with host families from the local community, based in a tranquil, rural environment
- Each volunteer will have their own bed, but may share a room
- Each bed should have a mosquito net
Volunteers will be provided with 3 meals a day by the host family, or receive a prepacked carry lunch if the project is far from the host family residence.
Meals are made with local ingredients, providing volunteers with an authentic experience.
If a volunteer has specific dietary requirements, please let us know so that we can make necessary arrangements.
Volunteers will help WIRIO with environmental conservation activities that are focused on helping to slow global warming and climate change.
These are the main volunteering activities:
- Waste Management
- Community/Women Empowerment
- Elderly Care
- Environmental Conservation
Here's how your typical day would look:
7 am - 8 am: Breakfast
8 am - 11 am: Volunteering work
11 am - 11:30 am: Break
11:30 am - 1 pm: Volunteering work
1 pm - 2 pm: Lunch
2 pm - 5 pm: Volunteering work
5 pm onwards: Free time and Dinner
*Volunteers will have weekends off for free time.
Local Excursions and Sightseeing
We offer an optional Safari trip:
- Safari at the famous Maasai Mara Game Reserve
- 2-day safari (one night)
- Cost is $400 per person and includes entry fee, transport, food and accommodation (tip for the guide not included)
- Additional excursions: Kisii Soap Stone, Manga Hill, and Lake Victoria
All volunteers will be provided with a 24/7 hotline number to call in case of emergency.
In case of emergency, the healthcare facility is 1 kilometer from the host family and we have a vehicle for transport in these cases.
What's included in the fee?
What's not included in the fee?
The following is not included in the fee:
- Insurance - Volunteers are responsible for purchasing their own travel and health insurance
- Pickup: September 1st, Kisumu International Airport. Let us know your arrival time, and we will come pick you up!
- Drop off: September 30th, Kisumu International Airport
$26 per day to Wide Rescue Initiative Organization (WIRIO)
100% of this fee is paid directly to the non-profit
Summer special! Limited time only$25 $15 one-time handling fee to GivingWay