Adanu ignites the passion of Ghanaian communities to bring about a future filled with opportunity and hope.
There are three general areas that we need volunteers for:
1. Construction - no experience needed! Projects include building schools, sanitation facilities and clean water tanks. You can expect to mold bricks, carry sand, water and gravel, paint, mix concrete, and occasionally hammer and saw wood. Your help is in supporting the village workers, not doing all the work yourself.
2. Teaching students and teachers - teaching English, reading, writing, math and science are all critical needs. Teachers also love to learn of new ways to engage students, so introducing lesson plans and bringing teaching and learning materials from home are really appreciated.
3. Adanu works with kente weavers and batik and batik product designers. We need people who know sewing, design, marketing and branding to help improve these social enterprises. Adanu is also about to start a community-based radio station, and we would love volunteers who have communications knowledge to help train staff in station management, advertising, programming and more!
1. We generally provide all in-country transportation, including airport transfers from Accra. Accommodations are either in the village or a nearby guesthouse. Hotels are also available, but might incur an additional charge.
2. An Adanu staff member will be with you 24/7 for the first two weeks. Full-time staff engagement will be reviewed for stays longer than 2 weeks.
3. Three meals a day are included. Our cook knows how to maximize your healthy enjoyment of our local cuisine! Drinking water is also included.
4. Cultural immersion activities and sightseeing in the beautiful Volta Region are also included in the trip.
Adanu also offers a very unique opportunity to meet with Elder Councils, PTAs, and other groups of people so you can truly understand what their goals and dreams are for their community. Adanu helps communities learn how to collaborate among themselves as well as other stakeholders, such as local and national government officials, so there is a good chance you will see those collaborations firsthand.
Sample costs for 2017-2018
8-day program for individuals and corporations: $1,400
8-day program for nonprofit organizations who do own fundraising: $1,000
8-day program for universities and other schools: $800
Please contact us for more pricing information - we love getting contacted!!
Adanu partners with communities to foster a spirit of collaboration and ownership. This creates authentic community development and true sustainability. Adanu, together with donors and volunteers, inspire and empower communities to own and lead critical educational development projects that benefit all peoples across Ghanaian villages. Providing children with a safe and healthy learning environment empowers them to improve their lives and the lives of their families.