Africa Classroom Connection holds a vision that every child has the opportunity for an excellent education. Our mission is providing resources to help build and improve schools in KwaZulu Natal, South Africa and rural central Malawi. We work to get buildings built, help kids stay in school, and facilitate cultural exchanges/overseas travel.
We are based in Minneapolis, MN and work to raise funds and awareness here in the United States. Our partners in South Africa and Malawi administer the classroom building programs so that decisions are made and jobs are created by and for the local community.
We operate under six principles:
1. Local Decision Making—decisions made by and for the local community
2. Local Investment—the community buys in
3. Local Labor—skills and jobs for Africa
4. Sustainability—schools staffed and maintained by the local government
5. Reliable Construction—every classroom the same
6. International Accountability—audits and visits to our overseas partners
We are a 100% volunteer-run organization. Our board members personally cover all of our administrative costs, so our donors' entire contributions go directly to building classrooms. Since our 2006 founding we’ve helped over 18,500 kids by building nearly 100 classrooms.