Our NGO (Association Atz’anem K’oj) is working since fifteen years on the improvement of life conditions of the marginalized populations in Guatemala and Central America.
Our methodology is based on The Theater of the Oppressed, created by Augusto Boal during the dictatorship in Brazil, and also based on popular education and arts.
Our fundamental principle: From people, by people, and for people.
People we are working with: women fighting against gender violence, rural and indigenous population, people suffering from HIV, migrants and disabled people.
What we do: long-term processes of empowerment, international processes of multiplication, participatory audits,
training of trainers, social theater in public places in order to create debate, organization of regional encounters, festivals and cultural spaces...
We are part of 2 Latino-American networks: Ma(g)dalenas Teatro de las Oprimidas and RelaTO Red latino americana de Teatro del Oprimido
We have worked with ONUSIDA, Unicef, Hivos and various internationals and locals partners.
- Communication (writing articles for the web and social networks etc.)
- Documentary (photos, videos, etc.)
- Design and Web design
- Develop our volunteering programs (management, diffusion of the offers...)
- Support the different ongoing projects of the NGO
- Whenever it is possible, you will be more than welcome to be part of our different processes: it is a unique opportunity to understand the reality of the different groups we work with ;
- Opportunities for political and personal training (feminist activities, ...) ;
- Participation in workshops of Theater of the Oppressed.
We are located in Quetzaltenango (Guatemala) but often travel in the country and in Central America to lead projects.