Benposta would like to improve the quality of life of indigenous children and give them a realistic chance to help their families by being properly educated. Where they live either there is no school or the school is not working, often their parents either cannot or do not want to educate their kids
Benposta is a non-profit-organization founded 1956 in Spain by Jesús César Silva Méndez. Benposta Venezuela was founded 1990. The organization enables kids living in a family-like environment where they are educated in various aspects of life (social, school, artistic etc.). The idea is a model-like society independent from race, sex, faith, social and national background.
Education, health care, alimentation, formation in different craftsmen ships (gardening, cooking, etc.) in different areas of Venezuela:
• Isla de Zapara, EDO Zulia (a free of charge canteen and craftsmen workshop)
• Colegio de Benposta with about 400 students and an apartment for 20 students (residents of Benposta) within the school
• Los Frailes, Zulia State
o free of charge canteen for 180 children
o health care centre, dentist, library, shop, multi-purpose hall, kitchen
o houses for 20-40 children from Benposta
o a day-care house for 50 children between the age of 0-6 years from Monday to Friday, where they get medical attention, healthy food and clothes
Usually the volunteers are offered to change location during their stay to get to know different projects of Benposta Venezuela.
• Pick up service from Maracaibo, Venezuela (i.e. from the airport)
• Food (If you are a vegetarian, we need to check if it’s possible)
• Excursions when finished with the work (Needs to be asked for and discussed with staff in advance!)
• Personal enrichment, new experiences
The most important thing we need from a volunteer is flexibility and the will to help where needed. He/she needs to be able to cope with basic living conditions (Internet access only on weekends at the Benposta director's house, no running water in the projects, etc.)