*PLEASE READ THE VOLUNTEER PACKAGE FOR MORE DETAILS:
Read the volunteer package: http://ipbio.org.br/wp-content/uploads/Volunteer-Package-IPBio-Celine-12.pdf
1) Research Assistant
Volunteers can help our biologists perform research and monitoring of fauna and flora. You will accompany our researchers in their daily activities and get experience of what life is like for a field researcher. The focus of the investigation will be determined by IPBio.
2) Bioluminescent Mushroom Researcher
IPBio is looking for a long-term volunteer (minimum 3 month stay but preferably 6 months) who would focus on searching for new species of bioluminescent mushrooms; photographing them and finding the conditions that allows us to cultivate them in the lab.
3) Tree Inventory
IPBio conducts a tree inventory on all the trails at the Reserve and monitors the growth of trees to assess forest well-being. Additionally, this project is particularly important as a animal release center is opening on the reserve and therefore understanding the species of fruiting tree and their distribution is essential for reintroducing animals into the wild. Why? Imagine you are going to release a parrot which only eats a certain fruit. This fruit only grows between July and September. Therefore you should only release this parrot during these months to ensure it has available food which will increase the chances of a successful release. As a result, IPBio is creating a tree map and phenological calender which will allow people to see what species of tree are on the reserve and at what periods each tree is expected to fruit.
4) Gardener/Organic Farmer/Trail Maintenance
Our gardener, Rafael, always needs help maintaining the grounds, trails, animal enclosures, vegetable patch and microclimate greenhouse so if you are interested in getting your hands dirty then we always have a job for you.
5) Photographers/Movie Producers
The Biodiversity Observatory OBBIO - is a network of video cameras that record the fauna and flora 24 hours a day, generating films and content for use in research and education. Our videos have been used on the Discovery Channel and are regularly published on our YouTube channel. People interested in adding content to the database or can put the content to good use in clips, documentaries or magizine publications are welcome. Anyone with editing or digital ar skills would be of great help also.
6) Website Designer
IPBio is looking for a web developer to add new content (such as a section with independent pages describing our projects); add new features to our website; improve the aesthetics; and organize the website structure.
7) On the Betary Reserve the IPBio has partnered with the Celine Animal Release Center who is in the process of developing and constructing their center where they will set free animals that were once victims of the illegal trade of wild animals. At this stage they will need support in the following areas: collecting native fruit seeds; fauna inventory (research on species living in the area); and gardening/landscaping.
8) Fundraising and Communications
Improving our website; develop our social media; creating videos to recuit volunteers or inform people about our work; attract more volunteers; contacting universities to organize courses or set up agreements to develop our internship program; promote our Ebooks on biodiversity and wildlife; develop fundraising plans; write grants for equipment.
9) Bird Ecology Research where the scientific aim is to inventory bird species and understand their temporal variation as well as identify seeds species that are deposited by these birds.
We are always looking for volunteers to help us develop our projects
2 Week minimum
- Volunteer accommodation at the Darwin House has a fully equipped kitchen and a bathroom with a hot shower
- Volunteers will purchase their own food and cook for themselves, however, they can also use our organic vegetable patch
- We allow access to our reserve, to our biological lab and provide any equipment/tools we have for projects
Volunteers pay in reais a charge of 425 reais a week for accommodation at the reserve (at January 2017 exchange rate this comes to 135 dollars a week however this does change due to currency fluctations).
The Biodiversity Research Institute (IPBio) is a place where research meets conservation. IPBio is a nonprofit NGO that develops and supports projects in environmental education and scientific research on biodiversity, ecology as well as on the behavior of species of fauna and flora of Brazilian ecosystems. In addition to the research and education activities, IPBio 's mission is to encourage conservation, management and sustainable use of natural resources; and promote the development of eco-tourism and cultural projects.
- Pens and Markers
- Walkie-Talkie: examples below
Reserva Betary, Estrada Iporanga - Apiaí, Km 6 - Bairro Betari
Iporanga, São Paulo
CEP - 18330-000