ETIV do Brasil gives volunteers and interns the chance to gain hands on experience working with an international development NGO while also exploring beautiful Itacaré; where the tropical rainforest (Mata Atlántica) meets the Atlantic Ocean and beautiful jungles, beaches, waterfalls, coconut trees and wildlife abound.
We offer over 15 Volunteer Positions at ETIV do Brasil, including:
- Youth development
- Teaching English
- Environmental conservation
- Marketing and recruitment
-Communications and Social Media
-NGO Admin and office Support
-Fundraising and Grant Writing
- Construction and landscaping
- Community organizing
- Women's empowerment
In these positions volunteers will be given the opportunity to get involved with the local community and have a profound effect on the work of the NGO in their particular field. Volunteers will receive support from the Director or an ETIV staff member, although we are looking for volunteers that are motivated self starters who will create their own goals and action steps, and who will not need to be micro-managed. These positions will also require some office work and participation in our weekly meetings – where we present, share and discuss new ideas and progress within each project.
We greatly appreciate volunteers that speak Portuguese, however this is not a mandatory requirement.
You do have the option of living in the volunteer house for an additional fee. However, our rent is very affordable, beginning at $192 a month for a small private room with shared bathroom to $220 per month for a larger upstairs room. This includes all bills, WIFI, drinking water and toilet paper.
The one time admin fee covers all of your legal paperwork (contracts, rental agreements & emergency contact form) and makes you eligible to be covered under our life insurance. However, travel insurance is separate and is not covered by ETIV.
Volunteer contribution costs per month are:
1 month $275
2 months $233
3 months $198
4 months $168
5 months $143
6 months $121
Grants available to low income volunteers or interns that can commit at least 5 months of service to the NGO, inquire within.
With this contribution you will receive:
- Pre-departure orientation and preparation.
- Induction and tour of Itacaré.
- Introduction to your project.
- Strategy meeting to help you plan and achieve your top goals during your time with us.
- Ongoing supervision and support.
- 24-hour emergency support.
- Life insurance coverage.
There is also an added cost if you wish to:
- Live in the volunteer house.
- Receive Portuguese or Capoeira classes.
- Have us organize your taxi pickup from Ilheus airport.
The taxi pickup is extra, the orientation and a tour of Itacare is free.
Virtual volunteers and interns will have the opportunity to support our work work in Marketing and recruitment, social media, communications, fundraising and grant writing, translation and website development.
- Any craft materials e.g. colored construction paper, pens, pencils, markers, crayons, acrylic and water based paints, brushes, pipe cleaners.
- Textbooks for teaching English (basic level) or English picture books for small children and Portuguese Books (all levels) for our Literature Club or other English teaching materials, e.g. flashcards, games, easy puzzle and memory games.
- Also, board games, legos and outdoor games (balls, frisbees).
- Also, if you could find someone willing to donate a used laptop, camera and projector that would be amazing!
The name “ETIV do Brasil” stands for Education Through International Volunteering of Brazil. We are also a part of a “Community Based Tourism” Network (CBT or TBC in Portuguese) that actively works to bring more positive tourism into the region. Here in Itacare, we do have a strong influx of tourism during high season that revolves around a deep “party culture” that has lead to a significant increase in drug trafficking, gangs and violence here. Many young teens and adults involved in gangs and trafficking are killed every year as opposing gangs from different neighborhoods compete with each other for power, money and resources. This is one reason why ETIV and the CBT network is actively building a new type of tourism in our communities that is focused on positively supporting our communities and the incredible natural environment we are so privileged to enjoy here.
The acronym “ETIV” sounds much like “achieve” when spoken in Portuguese. The ETIV volunteer house and office began operations in October of 2015, although we did not receive our legal Brazilian NGO status until May of 2016. ETIV is a Non Governmental Organization (NGO) and Non-Profit that is officially registered in Brazil as a legal Association (CNJP 24.835.491/0001-59).
Swimming lessons and Mangrove restoration
Those coming to Brazil to volunteer or intern with us will work directly with the NGO and our local communities to support projects that nurture positive social and community development. Why just travel, when you can volunteer for a meaningful cause and live in beautiful Itacare, Bahia, Brazil!