HOOP is a non-profit organisation enhancing the education of disadvantaged children and their families in Flora Tristan and the surrounding communities.
What We Need
The volunteer work involves:
- Planning and delivering five English classes per week, each lasting one hour.
- Supervising homework help or in the playground for 45 minutes after English class.
- Record lesson plans and monitor student progress and update student records.
- Participating in weekly volunteer meetings.
- Building relationships with the parents.
- Updating teaching materials and notify the Volunteer Coordinator of any additional resources required
- Taking part in the organization and delivery of occasional HOOP fundraising initiatives
- Fluent in English.
- Basic to intermediate Spanish skills preferred, or a willingness to learn.
- Experience working with children.
- Experience living or working abroad preferred.
A successful candidates will be:
- Organized and reliable, with good time management.
- Creative and resourceful to be able to work in a development environment and make best use of HOOP’s limited resources.
- Flexible and responsive to the frequently changing needs of the organization and community.
- Approachable and personable to build effective relationships with the HOOP team, students and local people.
When & Who
One-time $250 payment which covers:
- Personal service during application process and before arrival.
- Three induction/training sessions on arrival over three days before starting your placement.
- Workshops for volunteers every month on key topics relevant to our project.
- Access to our office where you can plan lessons in our resource area, use the volunteer computer, or hang out on our roof terrace!
- Our volunteer coordinator is available 24 hours a day as your local emergency contact.
- Support finding accommodation in Arequipa.
- Your very own HOOP t-shirt!
- A reference on successful completion of your placement.
- Confirmation of your place as a HOOP volunteer.
More Services we Offer
We give you guidance in accommodation (not included in the fee) and help you getting Spanish classes if wanted. On the occasion there are trips to places like Cusco, the beach, Colca Cayon ect (also not included in the fee and you are not obligated to go).
Additional Info about Us
We also accept volunteers for administrative positions.
Message us regarding internships in communications, project management, and development, and prepare a CV and cover letter as well.
Once an application form is received, a video call will be scheduled with the Volunteer Coordinator.
After the call, a place is offered and preliminary volunteer information is sent before the arrival of the volunteer.
Upon arrival, there is a 3 day induction process.
A reference and Criminal Background Check also need to be sent prior to arrival.
Helping Overcome Obstacles Peru (HOOP) was founded in Flora Tristán in 2012. After witnessing first-hand the poverty, social problems, and lack of opportunities in the community, the HOOP co-founders decided they would do whatever they could to help. Knowing the transformative power of education, they set up HOOP as a registered charity with the aim of lifting families out of poverty through projects delivered at our school in Flora Tristán.
HOOP has continued to grow ever since, and is now an important part of life for many families in the community. The relationship and trust we have is exceptional and allows us to create a lasting impact on the lives of the families we work with.
We believe education is for everyone, so we provide strategic educational programs to give people of all ages the opportunity to advance their education, health, self-confidence and better their quality of life.
There are different projects running at HOOP.
Children have to be registered to school by law in order to be able to join the afternoon program at HOOP.
During the week there is an English program, homwork help, art classes, sports game, play and more.
On Saturday mornings there is a science program.
In order to better the relationships with the parents of the children, HOOP has been implementing a Social Work Program lead by a psychologist and social worker.