Iracambi is a Brazilian and US registered non-profit organization located in one of the world’s top biodiversity hotspots: the Atlantic Forest. Our objective is to discover better ways of caring for the forest and to protect the extraordinary biodiversity found here whilst also generating a forest-based income.
We welcome people of all ages and backgrounds; however, we ask that you have completed at least level 20 of Duo-Lingo Portuguese as the majority of Brazilians cannot speak English and it will be to your benefit to be able to speak basic Portuguese.
Areas you can help in are as follows:
- Agroforestry: we are attempting to increase the biodiversity of a partly shaded coffee plantation while creating a new sustainable model of high-quality coffee production.
- Caring for our forest nursery, which supplies up to 6,000 seedlings annually, and planting trees
- Creating a medicinal plant garden and giving workshops in local communities
- Fundraising, marketing, and social media
- GIS (Geographic Information System): help develop our database of information which classifies land use, maps forest cover, and helps identify the best spots for creating protected areas
- IT, graphics
- Land Stewardship where sustainable management, rather than absolute protection or preservation, of natural resources is the objective.
- Monitoring forest cover and growth, water, fauna, weather
- Photography and videos
- Reforestation: includes reforesting with native species, developing forest corridors, restoring degraded lands, and establishing agroforestry plots
- Trail Maintenance: We have a system of forest trails which are used by researchers, schoolchildren, and visitors to Iracambi. The trails require regular maintenance – this is one of the jobs that does not take place in the hot sun!
- Young EcoLeaders: Engaging local communities in conservation activities and promoting interest through environmental educational activities with local schools
You are welcome to help with any of the projects that you are interested in to help develop skills in areas that you may not have had a chance to discover yet or to use your skill-base to help assist in projects already running.
Homestay with local environmentalists who specialize in fields such as primatology, agroecology, and organic farming. This provides volunteers the opportunity to experience local community members’ sustainable lifestyles, understand the locals in greater depth, and practice Portuguese.
3 meals a day
$200 US per week
Located in Brazil’s Atlantic Forest, Iracambi works with local communities and people from around the world to protect natural resources and enhance local livelihoods. We also try to enhance and protect the biodiversity found in this small paradise.