A group of motivated youth formed LUYODEFO out of a deep aspiration to respond to the plight of the Ugandan people.
There are many projects with lots of tasks to be accomplished including;-
(i). Field based / On-site tasks:
- Working at our school to assist in planning and implementing the daily program under the direction of the head teacher, provide educational classes and coaching for any children currently attending our school, and help with educational assessment of children in our educational program so that we can know their educational needs.
- Supporting quality education through assisting teachers at primary and secondary schools, organizing meeting with teachers and parents including home visits to ensure joint responsibility of children’s education, organizing and conducting after school programs and adult learning programs, setting-up reading clubs and organizing reading competitions, etc
- Training, awareness raising and advocacy on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Menstrual Hygiene Management (MHM) as part of Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) and integrating MHM in WASH activities in schools and the community.
- Supporting entrepreneurship through training women groups in appropriate savings practices, bookkeeping, loan appraisal and management, business management skills, conducting business evaluation, developing loan management tools, etc .
- Developing social enterprise such as sanitary pads production, tailoring business, soap production, making clean birth kits, etc through training and design support.
- Advocating for the rights and protection of vulnerable children, conducting training workshops on the children’s rights, child marriage, gender based violence and HIV/AIDS and integrating their prevention interventions into the organisation's thematic areas, offering counselling to vulnerable children and their families.
- Supporting Aflateen/ Aflatoun project through training school children in savings, human rights, child enterprises, organizing and conducting school based business competitions etc.
- Working with village health teams (VHTs) and local health facilities on medical/ health projects including teaching pregnant mothers on safe birthing preparedness, nutrition and family planning.
- Organising and conducting community events. Should have an idea of developing games for recreational activities to raise awareness on WASH, MHM, Domestic Violence and HIV/AIDS, and Sexual and Reproductive Health and incorporating these themes as part of main-streaming.
- Research challenges faced by the com unity especially the vulnerable groups such as underprivileged children, HIV affected people (PLWA), the disabled (PLWD), and child mothers, and single mothers.
(ii). Off-site /Office based activities such as;-
- Project design and development of fundable concepts papers (proposals).
- Developing program impact tracking tools (data entry and collection tools, M & E tools, etc)
- Promoting the organization by means of social media, blogs/articles, photos and other marketing materials such as flyers, brochures etc.
No specific qualification required. Elective students are also welcome. However, volunteers should be aged over 16 years.
STILL CAN"T FIND HOW YOU CAN HELP?
There is much more work to be done! Feel free to contact us with information on your planned project, to see if it make a good match and fit into our program. For more information see our website http://www.luyodefo-ug.org
Volunteering is free.
However, volunteers meet their accommodation and travel costs if they stay at a guest-house.
To reduce costs associated with volunteering, we are making efforts to have volunteers placed with/at members' homes, but this may not always work due to challenges related with lack of adequate living space, better housing, electricity, etc.
We need help in social media to create awareness and help promote our work.
We need help in translating our website information in French and atleast one more language widely used worldwide.
We need help in research and fundraisng to help in securing funds to spearhead our work in Uganda, this may including finding potential funders, writing and submitting grant proposals, and or organizing fundraising drives/ events