What We Need
MySmallHelp Peru (MSH) is currently looking for volunteers to work on a variety of projects in the Sacred Valley and Cusco:
1. The Integral Support Program:
Ensuring that our beneficiaries (people with disabilities or coming from low-income families) have access to education, healthcare, and skills training.
- Support in different fields according to individualized development plans.
- Develop individualized plans for each of our beneficiaries in different fields (legal, healthcare, educational, social, etc.) as well as assist and support each activity.
- Financial, logistic and human support to the beneficiaries and their families.
2. Community Development projects:
- Training workshops to provide an opportunity for community inhabitants to improve their skills
- Performing construction or educational projects to improve the quality of life of families and communities.
Best for: agencies, large groups, and short-term volunteers
3. Workshops at schools:
- The Reading Corner Project: reading workshops in community schools
- Volunteering in special needs school
- English workshops in school
4. Health campaigns (sporadic)
- Community support campaigns
- Medical campaigns with professionals and volunteers
- Participation in allies campaigns
- Organizing paperwork
- Developing communication tools
- Searching for information regarding disabilities
- Logistical tasks
- Provide direct care and support for children and adults who have needs related to physical, social, emotional, and other special education needs, often living in poverty.
- Assist the beneficiaries in their home or school setting with basic physical or speech therapy exercises, social skills, and general academic support.
- Form relationships with the families of beneficiaries and encourage them to assist with practicing exercises daily at home.
- Work in a team with other professionals and volunteers to create the best support possible.
- Participate in administrative tasks, such as updating social media sites, updating volunteer websites, helping with paperwork, etc.
- Represent MySmallHelp in the communities.
- Strong interest or experience in working with people with disabilities
- Experience in individual and/or group management is a plus
- Intermediate level of written and spoken Spanish and English
- Reliable, proactive, creative, charismatic and willing to help wherever needed
- Able to work with and respect people from different backgrounds
When & Who
What we Provide
MSH House is a cozy place with all the comforts of home. We offer 2 private and 2 shared rooms & gorgeous views of the mountains. The house has 3 shared bathrooms with a fully equipped kitchen, a cozy living room, and a beautiful garden.
We have no specific costs for volunteering; however, we do ask volunteers working in Ollantaytambo to stay at the Volunteer House which is a social project itself.
For anyone who chooses to stay with us, we ask for a contribution to help us provide hot water for showers, wireless Internet, and helping to cover administration costs. The costs are $10 or less.
Other Ways to Help
School materials, Spanish language children's reading books, etc. Contact us for more information about our full wish list, because MSH establishes this based on each project's and beneficiaries needs.
Additional Info about Us
Volunteers work directly with local families. Through this, MSH volunteers are able to learn about the customs and traditions of Peru, give assistance to and build strong relationships with people with disabilities or coming from low socio-economic families, and share this experience with other volunteers from around the world. Volunteering with MSH gives you the opportunity to travel around the Sacred Valley and see numerous historical sites, including Machu Picchu.
MySmallHelp works with individuals with disabilities as well as people coming from a lower socio-economic status by helping them gain access to education, healthcare, and other necessary services.
MSH has several projects in the Sacred Valley area with different beneficiaries:
Our main projects focus on providing access to education and healthcare to the people who we work with.
We work directly with the children and their families during visits to their house or in the MSH Peru house. We help them practice basic communication exercises, finish their schoolwork, learn English, play instruments, art, etc.
We help disabled children at home with physiotherapy.
We assist families with construction projects to improve their security, health, and quality of life.
We assist people with disabilities in the process to complete their legal documentation in order to get access to public health. We also assist and support families in their medical consultation when needed.