Amazon Shelter for Animal and Environmental Protection
What We Need
1) Support for the maintenance of wild animals. Prepare and distribute food for the animals ; help clean the enclosures and general maintenance of the environment.
2) Monitoring of wildlife activity.
3) Environmental enrichment : preparation of the enclosures with natural and synthetic objects such as toys and hangers in order to stimulate both mental and physical activity of the animals and thus reduce the stress due to their captivity.
4) Environmental educational work.
5) Participation in artistic workshops : this work is carried out with young people to spread the message of conservation of environment and wildlife through painting, crafts, stories, myths and/or legends.
6) Assistance in the control of animal welfare.
When & Who
What we Provide
Volunteers stay in bungalows with rustic but comfortable double wooden rooms inside the CRCAS facilities, in a clearing in the jungle. The facilities have showers, toilets and electricity (220V) 24 hours a day.
Currently the CRCAS has the capacity to accommodate 16 people, between volunteers and eco tourists.
If the weather conditions allow it, you can camp in a suitable area to enjoy the sounds of the night in direct contact with nature. The rainy season is from November to January.
The volunteer program includes 3 meals a day (breakfast, lunch and dinner). The volunteers eat and socialize in a spacious dining room.
It is allowed to bring snacks such as cereal bars, cookies, chocolates, etc. But we ask not to bring food to the rooms, since the remains of food attract ants and other insects.
The daily fee of 40USD covers the accomodation in our lodge and 3 meals a day.
Other Ways to Help
Help prepare the diets, feed the animals and have lunch (80 soles)
Visit of the animals with a detailed account of their stories (60 soles)
We accept all kinds of donations in material or money.
Additional Info about Us
Preparing individual dietary needs for the animals, maintaining trails, building treehouses and sheds, feeding the animals, cutting leaves
Volunteers can either pay via their agency, through paypal or cash in hand.
Our main activity is to help develop the Amazonian ecosystem and preserve the species which it houses, specifically in the southern jungle of Peru, where the Center of Rehabilitation and Conservation of Wild Animals (CRCAS), is located at kilometer 11.2 of the road to Tambopata from the city of Puerto Maldonado, Madre de Dios.
The conservation of the Peruvian Amazonian environment and wildlife through the environmental education.
To promote the conservation of the Amazonian fauna of Peru, with emphasis on local species threatened by the destruction of their habitat and the trafficking of fauna, activities that put the biodiversity of the Amazonian ecosystems in serious danger of survival.