Oye LENA is an educational project located in Curahuasi, in the heart of the Andes mountain range at an altitude of 2,600 metres. It was founded on 15 April 2012 and has been an officially registered NGO in Peru since 8 February 2013.Oye LENA is short for “Oye Loquitas EN Acción!”, which freely translated means: “Listen up, we are taking action!”We believe that every child has the right to qualitative education, focussed on personality development, regardless of their own capabilities and limitations and regardless of the place and culture in which they grow up. Children from underprivileged families and ethnic minorities, children with a disability and children in rural areas should have the same opportunities as others.
Spanish teachers, speech therapists, physiotherapists, public relations...
To stay in the Casa LENA house (bed & breakfast above the project), a shared room costs 9 euro per night and a private room 11 euro per night.
On Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday you can eat at the project at noon. This costs only 15 soles! Other meals you provide for yourself or you cook together with the other volunteers.
No cost for the volunteering.
– A Belgian contact person and 24/7 assistance when present on the project.
– Reception upon arrival on the project.
– Guidance and support during the whole period of volunteering.
– An enriching and unique experience abroad within a safe framework.
– An opportunity to develop your professional skills.
– Immersion in a new language and culture.
– Optional Spanish lessons at the project.
– Assistance with preparing your tours.
- Work with special children before noon.
- Work with toddlers in the afternoon.
- Monthly activities.
Stefanie is the project manager in Peru and leads the project in Curahuasi as well as in Belgium with the support of Sara Defoor (class coordinator), Diofe Garcia Delgado (cook), Susi Garcia Delgado (teacher & parental contact person), Cristel Rosario (teacher), Brandon Bautista Delgado (driver), a team of volunteers and a ‘Belgian working group’. Besides these permanent employees, there is always a volunteer responsible who is responsible for the reception, guidance, and evaluation of volunteers and students during their stay at Oye LENA.