Liberia Renaissance Education Complex (LREC)
LREC is a public school in Liberia, West Africa, privately funded through a Swiss Foundation. We believe all children deserve a chance at a great education, regardless of where they come from.
What We Need
Qualified and experienced teachers, teacher trainers, agriculturalists, after school activities organizers (e.g. art, sport, music).
When & Who
What we Provide
International volunteers are invited to stay in our guesthouse with the project manager. The house has shared kitchen and living facilities, but private bedrooms and two separate bathrooms. The house has running water and electricity. Wifi is available in the school during mornings, but can also be easily purchased for tethering a phone for around $1 USD per 1 GB.
All volunteers are welcome to take free weekday lunches from the school cafeteria, but all other meals are self-catered.
Lunches available in the school cafeteria on weekdays during school sessions, but all other meals are self-catered. Meals are not vegetarian, and generally consist of rice with a 'soup' containing local vegetables, fish/chicken, oil, chili pepper, and salt.
Volunteers must cover the cost of their flights, visa, insurance and all living expenses, excluding accommodation and some meals.
No reviews yet.
More Services we Offer
A free airport pick-up and drop-off is available.
Other Ways to Help
- Science laboratory equipment: prisms, bar magnets, U-magnets, heat-proof gloves, lab coats, protective eye-wear, meter rulers, mortar and pestles, crucibles, micro-screw gauges, pulleys, G-clamps.
- Sports equipment: basketballs, volleyballs, footballs.
Additional Info about Us
- Volunteers must be able to speak a high level of English.
- Flights to Liberia can be expensive. Before applying, volunteers are asked to please ensure they are comfortable meeting the costs of flights, visa and vaccinations.
- Yellow-fever vaccination is a requirement for obtaining a visa for Liberia.
Operating for ten years, the Liberia Renaissance Education Complex (LREC) provides tuition-free education to over 340 students from nursery through to 12th grade. We’re located down a long dusty road, an hour’s drive from Monrovia.