With our rescue efforts, we help the species’ survival in the present. With our outreach programs, we help preserve the species’ future.
What We Need
All help is welcome.
1. Animal Care:
- Support the rescue and rehabilitation of animals -- assist in the rescue process, notify ecological police and authorities of the places where wild animals are confiscated for illegal traffic or as pets, designate shifts for the cleaning of each area, prepare and deliver food, examine the growth and behavior of animals
- Help treat animals -- administrate medicine and monitor their health
- Implement enrichment programs -- monitor the behavior of a group of assigned animals, introduce external elements to observe their behavior, improve their environment and quality of life
- Work in the butterfly enclosure -- develop an observation and monitoring plan to determine the biological cycle of certain species and achieve their reproduction in a controlled environment
2. Environmental education
- Organize environmental education for children in RAREC and nearby schools
- Perform English lesson
3. Medical campaigns
4. Agricultural activities
- Create sustainable development activities
- Plant fruit trees
6. Grow our social media presence
When & Who
What we Provide
There's a shared room for 3 other volunteers with a fan and mosquito nets in the windows. This is a very quiet work environment to perform daily activities and relax and study at night.
3 meals a day. Please confirm if you have any special dietary restrictions.
US $ 50 per day for stays of 1 week - 2 weeks
US $ 45 per day for stays of 3 weeks
US $ 40 per day for stays of 1 month or longer
More Services we Offer
For stays longer than 1 week, we provide:
- Local SIM card with internet service
Participants have access to an outdoor recreation room with TV, DVD, games, and music.
Other Ways to Help
Volunteers who arrive are greeted. There is then a short introduction about what they will be doing and what to expect. Food preparation, feed the animals, visit the butterfly house, walk to the forest... Lunch is included! The experience is from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Matrix Milk, which will be used for our baby manatees, baby monkeys and baby ocelots.
Additional Info about Us
We are one hour from the city. We've built comfortable structures that permit us to be completely surrounded by the jungle and its sound. The jungle experience is guaranteed.
With your participation in the volunteer program, you support the project economically.
Taking decisive action in the here and now, from our facility in the highway from Iquitos to Nauta, in the Peruvian Amazon, RAREC aims to educate and inform, as much as rescue. Our efforts are directly linked to the survival of at-risk specimens of threatened species from the Amazon river basin. Our main focus is the Amazon river manatee, but we are also involved in the conservation efforts of other regional species.
Just as important as our rescue efforts are our outreach programs. We engage in education and information campaigns at a local level, and with your help, we will be able to reach more people around the world.