Restoration Works International
We are a non-profit that uses volunteer tourism to restore cultural heritage sites alongside communities around the world, advancing sustainable development, cross-cultural understanding and celebration of their cultures and histories.
What We Need
The Bichli Haveli Project is restoring and rehabilitating a 140-year-old haveli located in the old city of Udaipur, transforming it into a community and heritage resource center with revenue-generating accommodation to ensure its ongoing operation. In addition to the restoration of the Bichli Haveli, the project aims to bring benefit to the community in which it is located.
- Restore and rehabilitate the Bichli Haveli
- Establish a community engagement program including alley greening, composting, graywater treatment and provide public meeting and play spaces
- Train and employ Udaipur’s migrant women laborers to create teams of skilled restoration specialists who can use these skills in the future
- Provide economic benefit by hiring local staff and supporting local suppliers and services
- Demonstrate to the larger community the viability of restoration as a tool of community renewal and improvement, and provide them with the resources to embark on similar initiatives
DO I NEED ANY SPECIAL SKILLS?
Anyone can join a Restoration Works International trip. No previous construction or building experience is required – just a desire to make a difference in the lives of the local community.
WHAT KIND OF WORK WILL I BE DOING?
The tasks vary depending on the project, its need and the work progress. Generally, the mornings begin with a group gathering in which the architect, project manager or Group Leader will update everyone on the goals for the day, and make work assignments. You will always find a variety of jobs available. You may find yourself laying a slate courtyard, building a rooftop parapet, shoveling and sifting dirt for plaster, cleaning wooden sculpture and carvings or repairing wall paintings and artifacts.
When & Who
What we Provide
Your tour fee includes:
- Pick-up and drop-off from Udaipur’s airport with transport to and from the guesthouse
- Comfortable guesthouse accommodation in Udaipur from evening of Day 1 to the last evening of the trip
- Meals from Day 1 dinner through breakfast on Day 12
- Select tours and recreational activities during your trip dates
Reservations are secured with a US$500 deposit. The balance is due 45 days prior to your departure date.
All participants are responsible for:
- Transportation to Udaipur, India
- Indian visas
- Travel health insurance, including emergency evacuation
- A review of our Welcome Package, which you will receive upon payment of your deposit. It contains important information for pre-trip preparation including RWI’s packing list and additional information about the site and area.
Additional Info about Us
We believe that communities prosper through preservation and renewal of their historic sites.
We believe that by bringing people of different cultures together to restore these historic sites, we can help communities in developing countries achieve economic benefits.
We believe that rebuilding, renewing and protecting cultural heritage advances sustainable development, provides opportunities for cross-cultural understanding and helps communities proudly celebrate their unique place in the world.
We believe in the value of work as the universal language that connects an individual’s commitment to a group effort, benefiting the larger community.
HOW WE FULFILL OUR MISSION:
We use national and international volunteer tourism as the catalyst for our mission to help communities around the world protect their cultural heritage sites and prosper through preservation and renewal of their history.
When you join a Restoration Works International project, you can be assured that at least 90% of your donation stays in-country, circulating within the local economy. More than 80% your fee goes directly to the project, paying for costs that include local staff wages, building materials, and supplies and more.