Riruta United Women Empowerment Programme
We are a non governmental organization working to To restore hope and purpose to the less advantaged women, youth and children in slums of Nairobi and rural areas of Kenya
What We Need
As an organization we need volunteers who will help in teaching subjects like music, take kids for sports, help in fundraising for staff salaries, participate in social work, visiting and advising those affected and infected with HIV/Aids.
Below is a detailed document needed for the school:
Greetings from Kenya!
Riruta United Women Empowerment Programme’s (RUWEPO) Mission Statement: To give hope and purpose to vulnerable and disadvantaged minorities, women, sexual minorities, youth and children through advocacy and capacity building programs in the slums and rural areas of Kenya
We envision a community that empowers gender equality and equity, sexual minorities youth and children.
Based in Nairobi Kenya. We are a nongovernmental organization running programs to help tvulnerable children, people affected and infected by Hiv and Aids, Conducting sexual minorities workshops, running Workshops on how to tame and minimize Gender Based violence in our society. We run a school for vulnerable children called: Children of Africa Hope Mission. My writing to this group is to get support for the school. If we can get a family or groups of people that can support what we are doing to give hope and purpose to the less advantaged in society. This school is based in Ngando slums of Nairobi Kenya. We have 188 pupils; 98 boys and 90 girls. We offer them two meals a day, porridge and lunch. The school has 17 members of staff, 12 teachers, 1 administrator and 4 support staff.
Needs: Despite the gains, there are areas we still need partnership and support to help us gain our goals and objectives.
· Feeding the children, visiting the people affected and infected by HIV and Aids to ensure they adhere to the rules and take drugs as instructed.
· Helping with cooking at the school.
· Teaching some subjects like music, and sports.
· Organizing and facilitating in workshops on health and sanitation, Gender based violence and sexual minorities.
· Editing the website to be compliant
· Fundraising for the organization
· Publicity for the organization / school
· Connecting the organization to donors.
· Getting volunteers for the organization.
· Producing small videos on the work we are doing
When & Who
What we Provide
We offer kiswahili classes for the volunteers
No reviews yet.
Other Ways to Help
1. Land. We are on a leased property(1/8 of an acre) where we pay rent $360 monthly. Our dream school is supposed to be on 10 acres of land .this will cost $10 M and the cost of constructing the school both for high school and primary will be TOTAL ESTIMATED COST FOR THE PURCHASE & DEVELOPMENT = USD. 164.45 MILLION.
2. Feeding program: With the help of a few friends we give them a balanced diet, two meals a day. We yearn to give them a balanced diet. For this to be realized we need $1000 monthly, this includes food, firewood and water charges.
3. Lockers, tables and chairs: The ones we have are in a dilapidated state that friends gave us in 2014. These require $5000.
4. School bus. Transport for the school is quite a challenge. We don't take children out in field trips because of challenges in transport. Children don’t participate in co curricular activities that will need transport due to the transport challenges we experience. If we got a bus from general motors’ this will help transport children around and run school errands. The 60 sitter bus costs $60,000.
5. Computers and tablets. The world is evolving in technology. The school has 50 tablets which are still not enough for the whole school. It is our wish to have computers 50 and 100 more tablets to be used by children and staff. These will cost $5,000.
6. Games equipment. The children lack balls, sports uniform and other tools required in sports. These are costed at$5,000. If well facilitated the children will really exploit their talent.
7. Salaries. With a staff of 17 persons, salaries are a challenge. Currently we remunerate our staff at$1440 monthly. It is a challenge to raise these funds. Friends help us with $1,000 monthly. we give our staff as low as $70 monthly. We wish that salaries are at $150 monthly for the lowest paid staff and $3,000 monthly for the whole staff.
Additional Info about Us
Riruta United Women Empowerment Programme (RUWEPO) NGO started as Riruta United Methodist Women ministry in 2004 as a women ministry within Riruta United Methodist Church in the slums of Nairobi, Kenya. Due to her tremendous work in the community in socio-economic development of the disadvantaged families-women, youth and children in the slums and rural parts of Kenya,it was registered as not-for-profit making organization by the office of the president to widen its scope of operations in Kenya.
The mission of RUWEPO is to give hope and purpose to vulnerable and disadvantaged minorities, women, youth and children through advocacy and capacity building programs in the slums and rural areas of Kenya.
RUWEPO has its leadership structure and workers who are mainly women. They have a constitution that guides them to manage the organization. RUWEPO has the Board of directors who make key decisions under the CEO.
There was need to develop programs to cater for the interests and concerns of vulnerable and disadvantaged women, youth and children. This organization has been encouraging and supporting advocacy, support and social action in the community through capacity building programs.