We are a community based organization who offers tourism services for a better and more sustainable living.
Volunteering with RWATS give you the the opportunity to work within a variety of areas, and our visitors can therefore choose one or more activities according to one's interests and skills. Since the organization is still in its start-up phase we are also happy to arrange regular meetings with our volunteers to share and exchange ideas and plans for the future and for the project as a whole. Specific skills maching our list of activities is of course preferred, but every person with a genuin interest in our project and who are open to share and learn new experiences and skills are also welcome to join our team for as long as they wish.
Examples of areas you can work with:
- Marketing and communication.
- Help with fundraising.
- Training of local tourist guides.
- Building construction and renovation (of the two camp sites in the Mbunga Community and the Kilembe Valley).
- Photography, webdesign/updates and blogging.
- Office work and maintanance.
- Handcraft, art, music, dance and sports (mainly in the Mbunga community and with our women group).
- Organic agriculture.
- Nature conservation.
- Cooking and restaurant services.
- Community services.
volunteer house with different room and one dometry
Per Month: 880 000 UGX = about 243 USD
Per week: 205 000 UGX = about 57 USD
Per day: 30 000 UGX = about 8 USD
- Booking of transport and tours around the country.
- Arrange trips to Queen Elisabeth National Park and the Rwenzori Mountains National Park, which both are close to Kasese Town.
- Knowledge about the culture, history, spiritual beliefs, plants and animals in the area.
- Laundry and kitchen.
- General assistance when needed.
Yarns, cameras, kitchenware, renovation tools, computers, tents, solar panels, solar powered lamps, paint, bicycles, etc.
Rwenzori Action for Tourism Services is a community-based organization based in Kasese Town, Kilembe Valley and the Mbunga Community in the Rwenzori Mountains.
Our aim is to provide long-term tourism services that can contribute for a better living for the community, benefit local businesses, protect the environment, preserve culture and history, and provide knowledge and information across cultures and generations, modern and traditional life.
As a newly established organization our current project is to finish up and improve our camp sites in Kilembe Valley and the Mbunga Community. The last one is a site with traditional and improved traditional huts/bandas that visitors can stay in and are also neighbours with one of very few traditional homes that still remaining in this area and different cultural sites.
We are also planning to have different activities around both of the camp sites, such as a hiking trip to the waterfalls at the border of the Rwenzori Mountains National Park, different types of workshops, visiting homes, bird watching, music and dance, handcraft, beekeeping, agro-tourism and education/study related activities, among others.
We are at the moment especially looking for volunteers with marketing and communication skills and someone who can help with training local tourism guides, but we are also welcoming volunteers with other skills related to our project. Nor can sharing of ideas, knowledge and experiences be underestimated - let's sit around the campfire and share our stories.