We are a volunteer organisation teaching English to the community of Ainaro in Timor-Leste
Volunteer English Teachers to teach English to community members in the town of Ainaro , in the mountains of Timor-Leste.
A local accommodation complex provides us with self contained apartments. Very basic, but comfortable rooms are provided with own kitchen and bathroom.
Pre-trip preparation and discernment sessions (usually in Ballarat Vic) with our preparation committee are vital to ensure the placement is right for you and right for us!
Should you make the commitment to go to Ainaro we ask the following of you…..
• Attend a minimum of 4-5 Preparation Days which are held on the last Saturday of most months at Ballarat Grammar School when we share with you the cultural aspects of living in Timor-Leste, the practical side of travelling to & living in Ainaro, the teaching program and offer opportunities to learn the Tetun language. These meetings also provide an opportunity for you to meet past & future volunteers and “get to know” fellow volunteers before going to Ainaro.
• We have developed our own Scope and Sequence of our own English program which provides a “syllabus” to follow and have vast amounts of teaching resources available.
• That you have a suitability to teach English & are willing to work as a team member with qualified & experienced educators & live in a small community for an intensive period.
• Take every opportunity you can to learn about Timor-Leste, its people, the geography, history & the language
• Arrange & pay for your travel to Darwin then from Darwin to Dili and return and for your accommodation in Dili before and after staying in Ainaro. Pay for your personal living expenses in Ainaro. (T4T pays for the rent of the apartments & will arrange & pay for your travel from Dili to Ainaro & return as well as make arrangements for obtaining your visa extension.)
We try to run our program to avoid the wet season in Timor-Leste.
Exams in schools occasionally cut across our programs.
Teachers 4 Timor is an Incorporated Body & has been responsible for an English Support program in the community of Ainaro since 2007. 63 volunteers, primary & secondary teachers, adult educators, a paediatrician, an accountant, a midwife, social workers, community health workers & spouses have generously given their time & shared a wonderful & personal learning journey with the beautiful people of Ainaro. Groups of 2, 3 or 4 volunteers live in rented accommodation in Ainaro between March and October for a six to eight week teaching term.
Teaching teams overlap in Ainaro where possible to assist with transition.
Many volunteers have stayed on and travelled in Timor-Leste after their time in Ainaro.