We are a close-knit family of volunteers working with the community of Huaycan, Peru to provide empowering educational classes and workshops to women and children.
We are in search of long term interns to join our programs! In exchange for interning/volunteering with us for 12 months, we offer FREE housing and meals. See more information below on our Teen Program Manager, Kids' Program Manager and Volunteer Communications Positions!
Not available for that length of time? We have short term volunteering opportunities available in exchange for a low cost program fee. Message us for details!
Our LONG TERM (12 Month) Internship Positions available (free housing and meals):
The Teen Center Program Manager:
- Start date: August 2018
- Time Commitment: 12 months + training time
- Benefits: Free Housing and Food
- Language Requirement: Advanced Spanish Skills
Work in the office to brainstorm ideas, organize the program, schedule meetings with local and international volunteers, and carry out any other behind-the-scenes work needed to ensure the success of the program
Work at the Teen Center reception desk, signing teens in/out of the center, inputting daily attendance data, checking in/out library books, etc.
Work in the Teen Center to promote the program and encourage teens to get involved
Run the day-to-day operations of the Teen Center
Plan special events on a weekly basis
Run some Saturday events at the Teen Center (either lead the event or introduce the volunteer running the event)
Help plan for future TC events/programs
Contribute in weekly management meetings
Work directly with teen youth and local and international staff and volunteers in one the best environments possible!
This position requires an advanced Spanish speaking level, interest in working in youth development, and a 6 month commitment in exchange for free room and board
- How to apply: Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Teen Center Program Manager" in the subject.
Volunteer Communications Manager
- Time Commitment: 12 months to start in August 2018
- Language Requirement: Advanced skills or Fluency in Spanish and English
- Benefits: Free room and board
Help potential volunteers through the application steps
Handle communications between potential and incoming volunteers and LLI, including email, Skype, and maintaining volunteer postings
Develop awareness of volunteer concerns and needs
Orientation to incoming volunteers
Constantly update/write new documents for international volunteers
Coordinate activities with the On-site Volunteer Coordinator
Prepare incoming volunteers
Update adverts on line
Manage LLI's profile on recruitment platforms
Contribute in weekly management meetings
- Send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with "Volunteer Program" in the subject.
Kids' Program Manager
- Time Commitment: At least 12 months to start in August 2018
Free Room and Board for candidates able to stay 12 months.
- Language Requirement: Intermediate Spanish and English skills
- The Kids' Center Coordinator will oversee day-to-day operations of our Kids' Center, which operates 5 days a week and offers a wide array of educational opportunities free of charge to children. This is a perfect opportunity for someone interested in education and who loves children!
- How to apply: Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Kids' Center Coordinator" in the subject.
Check out our website to learn more!
Our volunteers live together in our cozy volunteer house located in a developed zone of Huaycan. Lunch and dinner are provided (Peruvian food is delicious!)
Long-term internships (12 months only) include free room and board.
Interested volunteers can apply online at http://www.lightandleadership.org/volunteer.html or contact us at email@example.com with any questions!
According to the World Economic Forum, Peru's education system was ranked last in math and science test scores and second to last in overall quality of education (2007). The Light and Leadership Initiative supports Huaycan, a shantytown located outside of Lima, in order to reinforce learning in Huaycan's schools.
Huaycan is comprised of approximately 180,000 inhabitants, almost all of which live below the poverty line. Huaycan is broken up into several different zones, or districts.
The Light and Leadership Initiative's (LLI) main focus is to empower our participants through education and to form leaders in the Huaycan community. We believe that lasting change will come to Huaycan through quality education. Most residents live below the poverty line and have little access to quality education. LLI offers educational programs to support both women and children in their struggle out of poverty. We now serve well over 100 participants weekly in Huaycan and the Ate-Vitarte district, impacting their education for a brighter future!
We have after - school and weekend programs in: art, chess, computer programming, community management, dance, English, math, physical education and reading.
We also have a teen center with computers and books for homework help.
Finally, we have a women's empowerment program.