The tasks undertaken will be dependent on qualifications or levels of experience, but we can promise a hands-on opportunity to make a real difference to the people of Kampala.
• Teacher volunteers and assistants: Primary school and Secondary school – English, Math, Science, Art, Drama, Sports, Music, Cultural exchange (volunteer student teachers will work alongside local teachers at the two schools)
• Medical volunteers: Medicine, nursing, pharmacy, dentistry, optometry, physician assistants (Medical Volunteers will work with medical officers at the Busaawa Mmanze Health Center)
• Volunteer community health workers: Mobilize community good practice of home environment sanitation, attend to minor health problems…
• Construction & Home Environmental Sanitation: Local community construction initiatives, basic sanitation, water treatment facilities…
• Volunteers work Monday-Friday
• The workday finishes ~16:00
• All national public holidays and weekends are free time.
Length of stay: 1 week -6 months
We provide food, lodging, airport pick up, orientation, training and laundry at a fee of 500 USDfor the first month of your stay with us. Following months will cost $300 per month for food, lodging and laundry services.
• Volunteers are accommodated at our volunteer house
• Homestays in the local community are also possible
• Monday-Friday meals and Saturday morning breakfast included (Monday- Friday breakfast 07:30-08:30 / 09:00 Saturday) (Dinner is served at our headquarters 19:00-21:00)
• We provide free local language lessons: 1-2 hrs/day
• Airport pick-up and drop-off are included
• Free medical care for minor health problems at our local health unit. However, should the medical need require referral, the volunteer will meet all the expenses incurred.
• 1week – 2 weeks: USD $400
• 3weeks – 1month: USD $500 - After 1 month`s stay, each following month is USD $300
• DISCOUNT for student volunteer groups of 5+ students 10%-20% discount depending on group size
We are in need of professional fundraisers who can organise ,fundraising activities on our behalf towards our priority programs like child sponsorship program,construction of classes ,students dormitories and staff quarters.The volunteers will also be responsible to write fundraising request letters on our behalf to potential possible individuals,companies ,families seeking assistance from them.They will also be responsible to create a database list of these people showing their contact details,how much they are willing to donate ,for how long and through which channnels.Secondly we need people who can manage our social media accounts on our behalf.Still ,we need online volunteers who can mobilise people under their reach so that they can come and work with us in uganda as onsite volunteers.Stilll ,we need online volunteers who can identify for us international schools that are willing to partner with our schools in Uganda so that we can establish exchange visits with these partner schools.
MACERUDET is a community-based NGO founded in 1987 after the Bush War (1981-1986) by a group of local people in the area of Mmanze, Masulita sub-county in the Wakiso District of Uganda. The social infrastructures and agricultural sectors were left devastated by the Bush War, so the Mmanze community organized themselves to overcome challenges through self help initiatives.
The Mmanze Centre takes its name from the Mmanze community, one of the communities of the Masulita subcounty.
MACERUDET has more than 30 years of experience in the field of welfare works and works thanks to the contribution of a small group of professionals located in Masulita, Uganda. MACERUDET has built and manages :Mmanze Community Secondary School (MCSS)" and "Holy Cross Namutenga Community Primary School, Kindergarten & Day Care Centre". MACERUDET has also built and manages "Busaawa Mmanze Health Centre III"
The organization does not have established paid staff; however, we implement our priority programs utilizing the services of volunteers from both the local and international community.
Our priority programs:
• Sustainable agriculture
• Community based health care
• Training and education
• Environment protection
• Promoting youth, women and child rights
• Functional adult literacy
• Infrastructure development
• Rural savings and credit
• Community capacity building
• Social cultural tourism guide
Our current projects include:
1. Student Hostels & Staff Quarters Building
2. Amazzi Nobuyonjo Bwebulamu - Water, Sanitation & Life
3. Community Empowerment Initiative - Education, Food Security & Sustainable Income Generation
4. Child Education Sponsorship
MACERUDET welcomes your contact and we are happy to provide further information and answer any questions you might have.
We will work with individuals and education institutions to specifically tailor a program or student internship to best suit the students` skills and wishes, and best benefit the Mmanze community.
We thank-you for your interest in MACERUDET.
Our wish is to host volunteers who can come with the following items: