The project coordinators place the volunteers in different work areas based on their profile.
As an educational project, we prefer that volunteers have prior experience working or volunteering with children and women as well as an intermediate level of Spanish.
It is also very important that volunteers have prior knowledge of the specific contexts in which we work with. We look for people who take initiative, participate and are flexible in order to be able to create a relationship of trust and respect with the participants.
We provide an introductory workshop that is essential to understanding the basic reasons for the work that is being done and the characteristics of the community. Additionally we are able to give volunteers an orientation of the city of San Cristobal de las Casas.
Tierra Roja Cuxtitali is a community center for children and adults that offers the following services:
-Basic literacy and math classes for children not enrolled in school.
-Homework support for girls and boys attending school
-Basic literacy and math classes for youth and adults who have never attended school.
-Educational Activities:environmental protection, permaculture, human rights, nutrition
-Training: computer classes, occupational workshops
-Human development workshops and psychological and emotional support.
-Community market including the sale of local and artisan products
Our mission is to expand the opportunities for social integration of the urban neighborhood of Cuxtitali, San Cristobal de Las Casas through the development of educational and training activities and promoting intercultural exchange in a community learning space.
Our vision is to be a recognized organization in San Cristobal de Las Casas for its contribution to the reduction of illiteracy in the outskirts of the city, and identified as a point of reference that focuses on community needs.
Tierra Roja Cuxtitali promotes:
– Gender Equity: equal rights, opportunities and the freedom of decision-making for women and men.
– Community Work: shared responsibilities, participation and collective initiatives to achieve common objectives.
– Social commitment: Creating a dignified and fair life through concrete actions that respond to the ethical challenges of society.
– Honesty: coherence and correspondence between what we say and what we do, transparency in the management of resources.
– Tolerance: acceptance and respect toward all ideas, cultures and beliefs.