APPLICATION IS OPEN NOW ...
We need you.
United Cultural Empowerment and Social Community Organization - UCESCO is Non-Profit Charity Organization for culture exchange in Kenya to promote the lives of marginalized communities from Hunger and Poverty.This is the opportunity to gain valuable work and life experience.
We have initiated several project that you may want to join and boost with your skills and passion.
- Ecosystem and Environmental conservation assistant.
- Arts, Sports, Soccer/football trainer.
- Local Construction (Community Schools, Hospital, Water Tanks, Elderly Houses )
- Teaching ( Basic English, Spanish, French or Germany)
- General Social Work and Fundraising
- Women Empowerment and Human Rights Activist
- Medical assistance.
- Health and hygiene assistance.
- Dental assistant.
- Database and website developer.
- Computer skills teacher and Administration
- Youth outreach program and Refugee Support
2. We also welcome Well wishers who wants to come and Donate (Food, books, Clothes or Shelter) to one Needy family. The organization also arranges safari trips on your weekends and holidays to Nairobi National Park, Maasai Mara Game Reserve! and many more
Kenya is an undoubtedly gorgeous African country with lush plains and Savannah, awe-inspiring mountain ranges especially Titanic Mt.Kenya, impossibly beautiful weather, amazing Wildlife, Breathtaking Safaris, Great Wildebeest Migration, amusing Ethnic Diversity, a coastal region that rivals the Caribbean and gracious people to boot.Kenya will simply blow your mind. We will so excited to have you on board and very much looking forward to meeting you
UCESCO- Kenya arranges accommodation for volunteers in a Volunteer house or in home stays in local communities..
The Volunteer house is used exclusively by volunteers so you will always have companionship with other volunteers that have similar interests and experiences in mind. But for couples/ Family we have special Furnished houses for you as well.
The houses are equipped with all modern amenities and full kitchen facilities. The houses also have a large lounge where volunteers share their experience and meals, the houses can get rather lively over weekends as volunteers return from tours and projects to relax over the weekends, social events are often arranged which include volley ball or Soccer/football.
Volunteers are also given an option to stay with host family. The host family accommodations are located in local communities in suburban Nairobi. Volunteers staying in host families work in projects located mostly within walking distance from their accommodations. By staying with a host family you will be able to know more about the Kenya way of life of the local people, their culture and living.
Kenyan food has many influences, including Indian and African flavors. Expect to eat, Several Vegetables, Fruits, rice, pasta, chapati (flatbread), Ugali (corn flour) and dough reminiscent of mashed potato as staples in your evening meal. These tend to be served with beans, meat, cabbage, and delicious gravy. As a rule, Kenyan food is tasty and flavorsome but not spicy. Some meals will be more familiar – spaghetti bolognese is quite common – but don’t be afraid to try the unfamiliar too.
Breakfast tends to be based around toast, coffee, tea, and eggs. Mandazis, sweet fried bread akin to doughnuts, are popular with volunteers and make a good breakfast or snack. More traditional breakfasts, such as arrowroot (similar to sweet potato – try it with marmite), may also be served.
Daily fee includes
- 3 meals a day
- Local Excursions
- Pickup/Drop off (airport pick up/ Drop off included to the program fee
-Hospital Transport (If needed we provide for free at any time)
-Wifi & Satelite
-In house services ( 3 weeks a week laundry)
-Local Transport from your homestay to the project site
-Local Sim Card
- First Aid Support
1. We provide training together with Women and Youths on making beautifully unique products, mainly from natural fiber and recycled material handspun and hand woven textiles, jewelries and baskets in natural texture, softness and color. representing all tribes in Kenya. This services included in the daily program fee. Also volunteer will be involved in community outreach to rural marginalized community to have fun together and feel the natural taste of Kenya and people Living with Hope (HIV/AIDS).
2. Once in every month we clean Various urban Cities, Slums, Rivers and plant trees to keep Africa green & Health
3. Evenings & Weekends we train youths and Women on various sports including Swimming, Arts, Soccer and Basketball
4. Some volunteers spend their good time with Children at Children's Center, play together, do art and drawing together, sing together and eat together then come home to rest and meet other colleagues
5. Once we collect enough funds, once per year we Construction Community Schools, Hospital, Water Tanks, Elderly Houses in slums and Marginalized Rural Areas with our volunteers
6. We have English, Spanish, French, Germany and computer classes for Youths and women thought by our volunteers finish with evening Nature Walk in the city
7. We appreciates those volunteers who fund raises in their country before their arrival to Support and Donate towards our programs of saving lives. It boosts us so much
8. Medical Volunteers spend good time in our clinics as , Medical assistant, Health and hygiene assistant & Dental assistant saving lives as well as gaining more skills in free Medical programs. in Kibera
9. Some volunteers visits many groups , Universities , High School in partnership with UCESCO as life Couch Speakers for prosperity and motivation
10 we also have outreach program to Refugee camps to support and Donate with our volunteers
UCESCO Online volunteering program is an opportunity provided to our volunteers worldwide to give services via the Internet or another technology network, either via a computer or via a handled device (Smart Phone, Cell phone, PDA, etc). Some of the activities you can help us is to...
1. Translate documents online
3. Create web pages
4. Edit or write proposals, press releases, newsletter articles, book chapters, etc
5. Develop material for a curriculum
6. Design database or software
7. Design graphics
8. Provide legal, business, medical, agricultural, or any other expertise
9. Populate a database with info
10. Counsel people online
11. Tutor or mentor students online
12. Moderate online discussion groups
13. Moderate an online event
14. Write songs
15. Write a traditional blog, microblogging or blogging a live event
16. Record or edit a podcast
17. Record or edit a video
18. Monitor the news
19. Answer questions
20. Tag photos, maps, and files with keywords and key information so that it can be found in a search
21. Manage other online volunteers
It requires real time and a real commitment and has real deadlines. That commitment might be short- just several minutes. Even if that commitment is a micro-task, it is real and if you don’t complete an assignment you have signed up for, you must know that you will hurt us.
How we Honor our Online Volunteers
• We Profile a volunteer of the week or month on our web site, without favoring onsite volunteers. This is general volunteers’ competition (Both Onsite and online volunteers). Overall Competition
• Receive customized, downloadable, signed certificates of appreciation with your name and specific service you will provide to print out.
• We Provides an online forum for all volunteers, both those that provide service onsite and those that provide such online, where you can all talk about your experiences and questions relating to your volunteering service with our organization.
- Volunteers who arrive are greeted.
- Short explanation of the on going projects
- Explanation how they are helping the local community by participating in this this project
- They can visit one home of one of our beneficiaries to say hi and eat together , Kenyan Local Food with our local volunteers, take picture together
Local tour of the area:
- Volunteers who arrive are greeted.
- Short explanation about the tour and guidelines.
- Explanation how they helping the local community by participating in this tour.
- Tour is based on the history of the area, and the different types of challenges faced by the local population.
Digital Camera-Canon IXUS 175, 20.2MP, Video Camera –DCR SD1000 12X Optical Zoom, G Lens,32GB, Projector-VPL CW256, Laptop-Dell 15.6’’ Inspiron 15 5000 series Multi-Touch 2-in-1, Speakers –JBL Dual EON610 10’’ Powered Speaker + stand, Project Screen-Elite Screens VMXIX1200 WHZ Motorized Front, Mega Phone-Pyle Pro PYMPP591R.MFR#PMP591R, Microphone-Shure SM58 LC , Dynamic Microphone+Stand +Kit, Nikon Digital Camera & lenses- D3300 single 24.2 MP +Stand
Composition Notebook, Pens, Pencils, Folders, Paper, Binders, Scissors, Glue, Tape, Poster Board, Books, Reference Material, Educational Videos, Art Supplie
- The organization provides a quality service and is accountable to the community through clearly defined roles and responsibilities;
- Service users, staff and the community have an opportunity to understand the structure and governance of the organization; and
- The service unit manages its resources efficiently through the elimination of role confusion and specific targeting of its activities.
UCESCO provides free time activities for our volunteers as follows:
- Trips to 24 different tourist attractions / Safaris
-Drawing and painting with children.
- Social activities like cleanliness to our schools, visiting people living HIV/AIDS and elders.
- Cooking. Our volunteers will learn how to cook different type of Kenyan food during their free time.
There are seasonal volunteering activities, such as the
1. Teaching program.
- School from January to May (June is holiday).
- School starts again on July and goes until November (December is holiday).
But during holiday time in June or December, if we receive volunteers, they can still work with us on the teaching program.
2. We Do Local community Schools/Homes/ Hospital Construction in Marginalized Rural Areas once per year after collecting enough funds from our well wishers
3. We Do clean ups in the various cities, slums, Rivers, and plant treas once in every Month
4. We also have outreach program to Refugee camps to support and Donate with our volunteers once in every 6 months
The “teach a man to fish” philosophy is what drives and inspires our Organization to end hunger and poverty in Africa, because it promotes the development of resilience so that individuals can recognize their potential.
We fundamentally believe that ending extreme poverty requires empowering families to turn hunger and poverty into hope and prosperity.
UCESCO links communities and helps bring sustainable income which then produces new opportunities for building schools, creating cooperatives, forming community savings, growing small businesses, feeding the family dairy, raising school fees, and permanent human transformation.
We also inspire action for the improvement of national parks and green-space through community advocacy, volunteerism, and small capital improvement to parks, farmlands, forests, rivers, and streams to transform Kenya. By collaborating with a broad range of constituents, including area residents, community groups, other non-profits, real estate developers, and city leaders, UCESCO’s efforts show a tangible difference in both the aesthetics and usability of green-space throughout the community.
The communities we serve ultimately reap the various benefits, such as clean and green environment, Poverty Eradication, Youth and Women Employment in especially Slums and Marginalized rural areas.