What We Need
We rely on volunteers to complete this vital work in order to make a real difference in the lives of Kenyan people in Africa. This is only possible because of your time and generosity!
Your experience volunteering with us will not only allow you to positively impact the world, but you will also have the opportunity to become fully immersed in Kenyan culture.
APPLY NOW AND BECOME PART OF THIS GREAT STAFF TEAM!
Currently, we have projects ongoing in the capital city, Nairobi, as well as in both the Kibera and Mathare Slums, the counties of Kisii, Samburu, and Migori, Mombasa City, the Masai Land, and the Northeastern part of Kenya.
Specify your areas of interest from the list below when applying:
1. Teaching — Basic Spanish, German, English, French, Mathematics, Business Studies, Art, Dance, Home Science, Music, Basic Computer Skills, Sports, etc.
2. Reforestation and trail maintenance.
3. Medical assistant volunteers, dental assistants, nurses, general doctors, and health and hygiene assistant volunteers to help in our Health Clinics.
4. Environmental conservation.
5. Sports — developing the skills and talents of youth and women in sports such as rugby, football, athletics, netball, and basketball.
6. Database and website development, event organizers, fundraising managers, project managers, fieldwork managers, receptionists, marketing managers, editors, translators, videographers, and photographers.
7. Join our construction team, building a school, hospital, homeless shelter, or child center.
8. Farming — for volunteers passionate about rural farming, we take part in community farming in order to provide food security.
9. IT and technology.
11. There are also opportunities to take part in outreach programs, community service projects, and empowerment projects for youth and women, as well as visits to refugee camps, children's homes, retirement homes, and rescue centers for street children. Some of the activities involved in these programs include cooking, washing clothes, playing, teaching, and providing emotional, moral, and financial support.
12. We offer a three-month attachment program for university students in order to develop your career. There are also internships for graduates looking to gain experience in their field of interest.
A volunteer does not need to have specific qualifications in order to join our programs. The only exceptions are the following programs where we require professional and qualified volunteers:
1. Medical assistance.
2. Health and hygiene assistance.
3. Dental assistant.
4. Database and website developer.
5. Computer skills teacher.
Couples and Children are also accepted to volunteers as a family in various activities
SIX FEATURES WHICH MAKE THE UCESCO VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE UNIQUE:
1. Truly experience the African way of life.
2. Gain African fluency by living with a host family and sharing life with Locals.
3. Become more passionate about your major and propel your career with international experience.
4. Make memories you'll never forget during weekend excursions with your fellow participants.
5. Take part in safaris and tours.
ARRIVAL AIRPORT AND PICKUP ARRANGEMENTS
UCESCO-Kenya staff member will be there to welcome you when you arrive at Nairobi Airport (NBO). From the airport, you will travel in our private car to your host family. Depending on traffic, this will be a 15 mins drive.
BOOKING YOUR FLIGHTS
In case you need our help, when booking your flight, let us know. UCESCO-Kenya has over 10 years of experience arranging flights for hundreds of volunteers to Africa. Searching for flights online can be a time-consuming, overwhelming, and frustrating process. We can do the work for you in case you can't do by yourself
We can help you book the best return flights, making sure you have the safest, most convenient, and cost-effective flight options, no matter how complex your travel plans.
VISAS REQUIREMENT FOR YOUR VOLUNTEER
One of the perks of volunteering with us is the visa guidance we give you. We have a dedicated visa team that has up-to-date information on visa requirements. You can get in touch with us if you have any visa queries, big or small, and we will take you through the process. Once you apply, you’ll also get a link, which will include all the necessary visa information.
YOUR INDUCTION AND ORIENTATION
On your first day, you’ll receive a comprehensive induction to your new town. You will receive an introduction pack, which includes useful information such as maps and local contact details. A staff member will take you on a tour of the surrounding area, and point out places that might be useful to you.
You’ll also be taken to buy a local sim card or exchange money if you need to. Our staff will explain how to use the public transport system so that you are confident about traveling around, but again we have private cars to take you around in case you don't want to experience the Kenyan Public transport system. No worries at all about security, Kenya is safe, our organization is safe, your accommodation and you will be always with one local volunteer to guide you and walk with you.
YOUR FIRST DAY AT YOUR VOLUNTEER PLACEMENT
We want to make sure you are fully prepared for your project, so you’ll receive plenty of guidance on your first day. UCESCO-Kenya staff member will accompany you from your host family to work on your first weeks so that you know how to get there.
You’ll get shown around the placement, and meet the people you’ll be working with. It’s a great way to see how things are run and gain insight into what you’ll be expected to do. Your project work will only begin on your third day
TOURS/ SAFARIS WITH UCESCO:
We provide tours and travel services too, including accommodation services. UCESCO has suitable accommodation, and a tour van with professional guide volunteers to guide you.
When & Who
What we Provide
UCESCO- Kenya arranges accommodation for volunteers in a volunteer house or in homestays. Our volunteer houses and identified home-stay houses are equipped with a range of amenities and maximum security in order to ensure the safety of our volunteers.
At the volunteer house, the rooms are spacious and of high quality. We have hot showers and permanent water supply, electricity, TV, and 24/7 security. Housekeeping and laundry are offered for $5 a week. We also have a Special apartment for couples and Children.
In a host family, you will be assigned to your own bedroom with a lock, flush toilets, and bath. You will be living in a host family house and become a member of that family, which gives you the opportunity to learn their culture, learn a new language, and virtually do everything with them.
A mosquito net can be quite helpful to bring or buy-in Kenya at $5 and sleeping bag in case we are traveling outside the capital city to rural/Villages.
We provide 2 meals per day: breakfast and dinner. It is the responsibility of the volunteer to organize lunch for themselves. Bottled water is available to purchase for 0.5 USD/liter.
If you have any special dietary requirements, please let us know so we can make arrangements for you. We will do our best to see that you are well taken care of but, as a volunteer, there is a need to be flexible.
We operate as a non-profit organization, and this fee is needed to sustain us so we can continue offering our meaningful programs at affordable prices in Kenya. This fee is allocated to cover the basic operating costs of our organization, including the advertisement, rent, staff salaries, utilities, taxes, and other operational expenses. Also in order to run our volunteer programs in Kenya, there are some basic costs that must be covered. As a result, the weekly program fee you pay is broken into three parts and follows.
1. The first of these is the cost of your accommodations and food. We pay this portion of the fee directly to our host families, or your project if you are staying at on-site accommodations.
2. The second cost that must be covered is paying our local staff and in-country coordinator. These individuals offer you individualized support and guidance throughout the entire duration of your volunteer project abroad, and the service they provide to you is key to making sure you have the best experience possible.
3. The third cost covered by the contribution fee is a donation that is made directly to your project. The projects UCESCO volunteers work to support are often poor and struggling financially to continue their important and much-need humanitarian work. Your donation goes a long way to helping them continue to run.
There is no rigid proportion of how the volunteer program fee is allocated, as it varies with location, project, and other factors. But the following is a generalized allocation of fees that are normally done:
- Host Families (60%-80%)
- Project Donation (10% - 20%)
- Local Country Office Expenses/Staffs (10-30%)
In Summary, Fee includes
- Accommodation (host family)
- Airport Pick up/Transfer
- Program Orientation
- In-country support
- Personalized project
-. Pre-departure information
- Certificate of completion
- Fundraising ideas and letters
- Discount for returning volunteers
- Breakfast and Dinner
-Hospital Transport (If needed we provide for free at any time)
- First aid support if needed
Not included in the fee:
- Drop off ( will be charged only USD 20 )
- Laundry (5 USD/week)
- Local SIM card you need to purchase
- Weekend Tour
- First Aid Support
- Personal expenses on soft drinks and foods
- Daily transportation
- Airport return transfer
More Services we Offer
Weekends are for your free time. You will have time to explore this beautiful country and learn about its culture and language
1. 5 Days Kilimanjaro Climbing $ 1900
3. Road Drive To Fourteen Falls From Nairobi $100
4. Hell's Gate And Geothermal Spa Tour $223
5. Half-Day Ngong Hills Hike From Nairobi With Lunch At A Local Restaurant $181
6. Day Olpajeta Conservancy From Nairobi $385
7. Private Mombasa Full-Day Excursion $335
10. Birthday Dinner Surprise & Cat Dance At Safari Park Hotel
13. 3 Days Maasai Village Rural Tour $530
14. Nairobi Kenya Cultural Shopping Experience $55
15. Lake Bogoria Flamingos Tour From Nairobi $320
16. Baboon Cliff, Makalia & Forest Zip Ling Or Menengai Crater In A Day $250
17. Kibera Slum Guided Tour $80
18. Half-Day Tour To Nairobi National Museum & Snake Park $105
21. The Nairobi National Park Half-Day Tour $128
22. Full-Day David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust, Bomas Of Kenya, Karen Blixen, Kazuri Beads Factory And Giraffe Centre Tour $299
23. Day Tour To Lake Nakuru National Park $240
24. Mt Kenya Day Trip Hike From Nairobi $380
25. Day Tour To Kiambethu Tea Farm In Limuru $110
28. 3 Days Tsavo East Panari Safari And Watamu Package $565
29. 3 Days Maasai Mara Safari $520
31. Karura Forest Nature Walk And Bike Ride Day Tour From Nairobi $100
32. Full-Day Sweetwaters And Ol Pejeta Conservancy Small-Group Tour From Nairobi $425
34. Hiking & Zip Lining At Kereita, Kenya $89
36. Adventure In Camp Ndunda (Embu) - 1 Day Excursion From Nairobi. $110
37. Ngare Ndare Forest $315
38. Nairobi Safari Walk And Animal Orphanage Small-Group Guided Tour $168
39. Overnight Safari To Amboseli National Park $475
40. City Tours $60
43. Ostrich Farm From Nairobi $206
44. Coffee Farm Tour In Kiambu $65
45. Mount Suswa Full Day Adventure $230
48. United Nations Hq Tour
49. Camping In Kenya
50. Mombasa - 3 Day Tour From Nairobi $430
51. Haller Park $50
Other Ways to support us
- Guests who arrive are greeted.
- A short explanation about our activities and a small Day tour around the City.
1. ROAD DRIVE TO FOURTEEN FALLS F $100
You will enjoy a boat ride at the same time do hiking
2.KIBERA SLUM GUIDED TOUR $80
Get a glimpse of life in Africa’s largest urban slum on a private walking tour to Kibera, a deeply impoverished area that’s home to thousands of people. Visit the area with a guide who was born and raised in Kibera, tour a local school, then see how local craftspeople repurpose bones in a bead factory.
3. NAIROBI HIGHLIGHT GUIDED WALKING TOUR $92
Packed with landmarks and colorful markets, Nairobi’s compact city center is perfect for exploring on foot, but finding your way through the crowds can be overwhelming. Join a guide for a Nairobi walking tour that covers key sights, from a rooftop observatory to the American Embassy Memorial Garden, with time to browse markets, learn about local history, and discover Nairobi’s green spaces. Choose a walking tour to experience the city like a local Follow a route that features key Nairobi highlights Learn the stories behind each of the sites you pass.
4. COFFEE/ TEA FARM TOUR IN KIAMBU $65
Though coffee is a widely-loved beverage that many folks around the world enjoy each and every morning, most people have never experienced real Arabica coffee, right from the estate. With this Nairobi culinary experience perfect for ardent foodies and regular coffee drinkers alike, you can visit the Kiambu Coffee Estate.
5. NAIROBI KENYA CULTURAL SHOPPING EXPERIENCE $55
Knowing the best spots to pick up Kenyan souvenirs can be tricky in the capital. Discover unique vendors and producers on a shopping tour of the city, customizable to suit your interests and budget. Visit markets, workshops, and craft centers across the city.
1. Better Water Pump
2. Mosquito Nets
3. School Uniforms
4. Sports Equipments
5. Digital Camera
6. Video Camera
9. Multi-Touch 2-in-1, Speakers
10. Powered Speaker + stand
11. Project Screen
14. Dynamic Microphone+Stand +Kit
15. Nikon Digital Camera & lenses +Stand
16. Construction materials
1. Composition Notebook
10. Poster Board
12. Reference Material
13. Educational Videos
14. Art Supplies
If you have things that are still usable, clean, and in good condition, but you just don’t need them anymore, you can donate them to our Centres to be distributed to the needy families. We accept anything that is in good condition, such as clothes, furniture, crockery, toys, books, shoes, accessories, hobby items, music/films, plants, household appliances, and much more.++++
Additional Info about Us
- The organization provides a quality service and is accountable to the community through clearly defined roles and responsibilities;
- Service users, staff and the community have an opportunity to understand the structure and governance of the organization; and
- The service unit manages its resources efficiently through the elimination of role confusion and specific targeting of its activities.
UCESCO provides free-time activities for our volunteers as follows:
- Trips to 50 different tourist attractions / Safaris
-Drawing and painting with our children.
- Social activities like cleanliness to our schools, visiting people living HIV/AIDS, and elders.
- Cooking. Our volunteers will learn how to cook different types of Kenyan food during their free time.
There are seasonal volunteering activities, such as the
1. Teaching program.
- School from January to May (June is a holiday).
- School starts again in July and goes until November (December is a holiday).
But during holiday time in June or December, if we receive volunteers, we have holiday vocational Training
2. We Do Local community Schools/Homes/ Hospital Construction in Marginalized Rural Areas once per year after collecting enough funds from our well-wishers and volunteers
3. We Do cleanups in the various cities, slums, Rivers, and plant trees once every Month
4. We also have an outreach program to Refugee camps to support and Donate with our volunteers once in every 4 months
UCESCO Africa is a charity Non-Governmental Organization, committed to incrementally and sustainably address poverty amongst vulnerable households located in slums and rural villages. We empower local Women to serve the poor and vulnerable, creating sustainable transformation in their communities.
We empower them, and link them with communities and work towards avenues that generate sustainable income. Bringing new opportunities to build schools, create cooperatives, form community savings schemes, fund micro-businesses, access healthcare, food security, raise school fees; aiming to permanently transform their lives, which will contribute towards the development of Africa as Continent to be a Center of excellence.
Families and individuals within these communities, desire change: they long for adequate food, good health, education, and a secure life. They feel hopeless in their current situation, but lack the knowledge and resources to change. They deserve to live a life free from poverty
WHAT WE DO
1. Slums & Rural Women Economic Empowerment
3. Early Childhood Development
5. Sports and Social Engagements
Actively and sustainably develop vulnerable women and children through education and by diversifying their income streams, to increase their economic viability through the creation of an environment that promotes social change in enhancing their livelihoods
Our vision is to see a world where disadvantaged women living in slums and marginalized areas in Africa are valued in society and empowered to create sustainable and impactful change.