Promoting resilience while attempting to end hunger and poverty in Kenya
What We Need
United Cultural Empowerment and Social Community Organization - UCESCO Kenya, is Non-Profit, Charity Organization that was established for culture exchange in Kenya to promote peace and lives of marginalized communities from Hunger and Poverty.This is an opportunity for you to gain valuable work and life experience .
AREAS YOU CAN OFFER US
- Ecosystem activities
- Arts, Sports, Soccer/football as a tutor
- Serving UCESCO Children's Home
- Help in ongoing Local Schools, Homes and
- Teach us your native Language especially English/Spanish/French or Germany
- Help in General Social Work and Fundraising
- Be part of our Women Empowerment and Human Rights Activist campaign
- Help in our clinics as Medical assistance
- Help as Health and hygiene assistance
- Help in our clinic as Dental assistant Doctor
- Help to collect Database and website/Social Media maintenance
- Help to teach basic in Computer aat our community Computer resource center ( Youth and Women)
- Be part of our Youth outreach program and Refugee Support
2. Donations to one needy family (Option)
SIX MOST UNIQUE FEATURES OF OUR ORGANIZATION - UCESCO- KENYA
1. Experience the African Way of life
2. Gain African Fluency by living with a host family and sharing life with Locals
3. Become more passionate about your major and propel your career with international experience
4. Make memories you'll never forget during weekend excursions with your fellow participants
5. Safaris and Tours (option)
= Mombasa, Giraffe Center, Kibera Slums, Masai Mara, Samburu rural tour, Amboseli National Park, Elephant Orphanage, Watamu Beach, United Nations HQ, Camping
5 DAYS MT. KILIMANJARO FUN WEEK CLIMBING WITH UCESCO-KENYA (OPTION)
TYPICAL DAY DESCRIPTION
- Volunteers who arrive are picked from airport .
START DATES & DETAILS IN ARRIVAL
We ask that all volunteers communicate their arrival and departure plans clearly to us, to ensure transportation and accommodations are properly arranged.
When & Who
What we Provide
UCESCO- Kenya arranges accommodation for volunteers in a Volunteer house or in home stays with local communities..
The Volunteer house is used exclusively by volunteers so you will always have companionship with other volunteers that have similar interests and experiences in mind. But for couples/ Family we have special Furnished houses for you as well.
The houses are equipped with all modern amenities and full kitchen facilities. The houses also have a large lounge where volunteers share their experience and meals, the houses can get rather lively over weekends as volunteers return from tours and projects to relax over the weekends, social events are often arranged which include volley ball , Swimming, learning how to cook Kenyan Food with our local volunteers, Nature walk with our local volunteers, Nairobi City tour, Kibera Slums day tour, visiting vulnerable homes and eat together, or Soccer/football if we are many
Volunteers are also given an option to stay with host family. The host family accommodations are located in local communities in suburban Nairobi. Volunteers staying in host families work in projects located mostly within walking distance from their accommodations. By staying with a host family you will be able to know more about the Kenya way of life of the local people, their culture and living.
Kenyan food has many influences, including Indian and African flavors. Expect to eat, Several Vegetables, Fruits, rice, pasta, chapati (flatbread), Ugali (corn flour) and dough reminiscent of mashed potato as staples in your evening meal. These tend to be served with beans, meat, cabbage, and delicious gravy. As a rule, Kenyan food is tasty and flavorsome but not spicy. Some meals will be more familiar – spaghetti bolognese is quite common – but don’t be afraid to try the unfamiliar too.
Breakfast tends to be based around toast, coffee, tea, and eggs. Mandazis, sweet fried bread akin to doughnuts, are popular with volunteers and make a good breakfast or snack. More traditional breakfasts, such as arrowroot (similar to sweet potato – try it with marmite), may also be served.
Daily fee includes
- 3 meals a day
- Free Gym
- Dry Cleaner
- Local Excursions
- Airport Pickup/Drop off
-Hospital Transport (If needed we provide for free at any time)
-Wifi & Satelite
-In house services ( 3 days a week laundry)
-Local Transport from your homestay to the project site
-Local Sim Card
- First Aid Support
Volunteer house/ Homestays rooms are well furnished, spacious with en-suite room features and en-suite bathroom. You are guaranteed to be comfortable, memorable and a comeback is certain.
More Services we Offer
1. We provide training together with Women and Youths on making beautifully unique products, mainly from natural fiber and recycled material handspun and hand woven textiles, jewelries and baskets in natural texture, softness and color. representing all tribes in Kenya. This services included in the daily program fee. Also volunteer will be involved in community outreach to rural marginalized community to have fun together and feel the natural taste of Kenya and people Living with Hope (HIV/AIDS).
2. Once in every month we clean Various urban Cities, Slums, Rivers and plant trees to keep Africa green & Health
3. Evenings & Weekends we train youths and Women on various sports including Swimming, Arts, Soccer and Basketball, Rugby
4. Some volunteers spend their good time with Children at Children's Center, play together, do art and drawing together, sing together and eat together
5. Once we collect enough funds, Every year we Construction one Community School, Hospital, Water Tanks, Elderly House in Marginalized Rural Areas with our volunteers
6. We have English, Spanish, French, Germany and computer classes for Youths and women thought by our volunteers
7. We appreciates those volunteers who fund raises in their country before their arrival to Support and Donate towards our programs to reach out more.
8. Medical Volunteers spend good time in our clinics as Medical assistant, Health and hygiene assistant & Dental assistant saving lives as well as gaining more skills joyfully
9. Some volunteers visits many groups , Universities , High School with our local Volunteers as life Couch and motivational Speakers
10 we also have outreach program to Refugee camps to support and Donate with our volunteers
Other Ways to Help
- Volunteers who arrive are greeted.
- Short explanation of the on going projects
- Explanation how they are helping the local community by participating in this this project
- They can visit one home of our beneficiaries to say hi and eat together , Kenyan Local Food with our local volunteers, then pause for a photo for remembrance
1. Digital Camera
2. Video Camera
5. Multi-Touch 2-in-1, Speakers
6. Powered Speaker + stand
7. Project Screen
8. Mega Phone
10. Dynamic Microphone+Stand +Kit
11. Nikon Digital Camera & lenses +Stand
1. Composition Notebook
10. Poster Board
12. Reference Material
13. Educational Videos
14. Art Supplies
Additional Info about Us
- The organization provides a quality service and is accountable to the community through clearly defined roles and responsibilities;
- Service users, staff and the community have an opportunity to understand the structure and governance of the organization; and
- The service unit manages its resources efficiently through the elimination of role confusion and specific targeting of its activities.
UCESCO provides free time activities for our volunteers as follows:
- Trips to 24 different tourist attractions / Safaris
-Drawing and painting with children.
- Social activities like cleanliness to our schools, visiting people living HIV/AIDS and elders.
- Cooking. Our volunteers will learn how to cook different type of Kenyan food during their free time.
There are seasonal volunteering activities, such as the
1. Teaching program.
- School from January to May (June is holiday).
- School starts again on July and goes until November (December is holiday).
But during holiday time in June or December, if we receive volunteers, we have holiday vocational Training
2. We Do Local community Schools/Homes/ Hospital Construction in Marginalized Rural Areas once per year after collecting enough funds from our well wishers and volunteers
3. We Do clean ups in the various cities, slums, Rivers, and plant treas once in every Month
4. We also have outreach program to Refugee camps to support and Donate with our volunteers once in every 4 months
The “teach a man to fish” philosophy is what drives and inspires our Organization to end hunger and poverty in Africa, because it promotes the development of resilience so that individuals can recognize their potential.
We fundamentally believe that ending extreme poverty requires empowering families to turn hunger and poverty into hope and prosperity.
UCESCO links communities and helps bring sustainable income which then produces new opportunities for building schools, creating cooperatives, forming community savings, growing small businesses, feeding the family dairy, raising school fees, and permanent human transformation.
We also inspire action for the improvement of national parks and green-space through community advocacy, volunteerism, and small capital improvement to parks, farmlands, forests, rivers, and streams to transform Kenya. By collaborating with a broad range of constituents, including area residents, community groups, other non-profits, real estate developers, and city leaders, UCESCO’s efforts show a tangible difference in both the aesthetics and usability of green-space throughout the community.
The communities we serve ultimately reap the various benefits, such as clean and green environment, Poverty Eradication, Youth and Women Employment in especially Slums and Marginalized rural areas.