SUPPORT A GIRL TO STAY IN SCHOOL

Project by   Give Hope Uganda, Kampala, Uganda
$0 (0 donors)
0%
Goal is $5,000
0 Complete (success)

About this project

Menstruation is an integral and normal part of human life, indeed of human existence, the subject is however too often a taboo and has met many negative cultural hindrances and attitudes due to the perceptions among especially men and boys, including the idea that menstruating women and girls are „contaminated‟, „dirty‟ and „impure‟. Women and girls in rural setting and in particular girls in schools suffer most from stigma and lack of services and facilities to help them cope with the physical and psychological pains they undergo during their menstrual periods; inadequate preparations for the young girls not yet experiencing menstrual hygiene, lack of or inadequate water to clean and wash the body, lack of materials managing menstrual hygiene, private space and wash rooms and inappropriate facilities for disposal of materials for those who have used pads. In spite of these issues, menstrual hygiene ignored within our communities.

More school menstruating girls in community primary schools experience isolation and rejection from their fellow pupils who regard them as „contaminated‟, „dirty‟ and „impure‟. Women and girls in rural setting and in particular girls in schools suffer most from stigma and lack of services and facilities to help them cope with the physical and psychological pains they undergo during their menstrual periods; inadequate preparations for the young girls not yet experiencing menstrual hygiene, lack of or inadequate water to clean and wash the body, lack of materials managing menstrual hygiene, private space and wash rooms and inappropriate facilities for disposal of materials for those who have used pads. In spite of these issues, menstrual hygiene has been routinely ignored by professionals in the water, health and education sectors.

Our surveys have shown that a total of 70% of the girl pupils report to miss 1-3 days of primary schools per month, which translates to a loss of 8 to 24 school days per year. This means per term a girl pupil may miss up to 8 days of study. This represents around 10% of a girl pupils‟ attendance missed due to menstruation; a majority of these girls note that they are physically sick and weak, cannot concentrate, or feel psychologically effects. In addition, 60% of the head teachers note that the girls absentee themselves from school during their menstrual cycle; Head and senior teachers further noted that they calculate around 10% of the total number of girls dropping out of school due to menstrual management and their schools do not have satisfying menstrual facilities. Over 50% of the senior women teachers affirmed the provision of menstrual pads to girls at school is not available and another 60% of the girl pupils stated that they need better facilities (hardware aspects). In addition, issues around sensitization of boy pupils, and the role of the senior woman teacher were also cited. Currently the means of copying for girl pupils is the use of old cloth, dirty napkins and other un-hygienic materials.

Use of Proceeds

Renovation of community schools wash rooms and toilets, Training on building capacity of young girls to rise up and Speak out , Buying sanitary pads kits, Training young girls on how to make reusable sanitary pads and formation of Girls Clubs in community schools based on sanitation and Hygiene